Prom Date?

Dear Agony Bunny,
Our school is organising a prom for our year, and there is a girl who I would particularly like to take as a date. She recently broke up with her old boyfriend, but there seems to be someone else who has his eye on her 0 should I rush in to ask her before he does, or should I wait and see how it plays out, because the Prom is not for a while. I don’t want to be turned down, because that would shatter my confidence, but I don’t want to leave it too late and miss an opportunity and have her thinking i’m not interested. Some advice would be great!
--- Name withheld on request

Dear friend,
If I was you, I'd have definitely start out by getting to know her as much as you can. What are her interests, about her likes and dislikes, all the basics. Then as you gradually start to get closer you can start to see if she fells the same way you do and you will be able to see more clearly if she likes you or not. Then you decide to go for it or not.